Get off the Ivory Tower

A leader needs to be with the people. More often than not, without realising the leader gets onto the Ivory tower and rarely comes down. 

During my initial months as a lead, I used to be with the team most of the time. To me, I was one among the team, and not someone who as a lead needed to maintain that posture. This was the only way for me, to lead the team.

Over the next few months, as my responsibilities increased, my team size increased. But I still felt the need to be one among the team. I did this, even when it became a stretch on my time. I did this not because I had to, but because I loved it. I felt comfortable being with the team, rather than acting as a Manager, who came in only when required.

I did not realise that it had its own pros and cons. On the positive side, my teams never felt the need to distance themselves from me, which meant I could really get the team behind me to support me in my endeavors. It also meant that I was too familiar to them, and sometimes as the saying goes, familiarity did breed contempt.

The biggest positive was the team was pretty open with me. In tough times, they really pulled out all stops to ensure that they go the distance to deliver. Tough situations were handled well by team, this really helped to turn the perception that as a team, we could deliver what was required and more.

To me as a lead, sitting on the ivory tower has more problems than advantages.

Until next week...

ps: After a year into my role, one of my team members (3 levels below me) told me that he was very surprised and happy to see a Manager move so closely with his team. He mentioned he used to see his manager a few times in a month rather rather than talk to him on a daily basis like with me. That was when i realized i was doing the right things.. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treat people as adults

Pass on the baton

Are you listening ???