Not only being Unbiased, but...

As a person, all of us have our own bias. The bias about people generally tends to be based on social status, education, upbringing etc. 

But as a leader, you cannot be biased. The leader as a person, is expected to treat all his / her people at par, without any bias.

I learnt the importance of this in my very first year of being a lead. When I started my journey as a lead, I was very clear that I should not be biased towards people. This journey, according to my conscience was also on similar lines. But over a period of time, the time I spent with some people in my team both on official count and personal was skewed when compared with others. Unknowingly, I spent more time with people whom I felt comfortable. While this helped me in getting along with the team, there was a feeling that I was biased within the team.

People felt that I spent more time with certain team members because I liked them, and hence treated them differently. There were several reasons attributed to my bias towards people starting from region, language, men / women and many more that I never even thought. For me, this was not the case, but the feeling from certain people in the team was otherwise. 

My key learning here was, it was not enough for me to be unbiased, but it was very important to show that I was unbiased. Caesar's wife should be above Caesar ... 

The next problem was how to do it... It was not an easy thing as I thought.. More on this, next week.

ps: The first slap in my face regarding my bias came up in a 360 degree anonymous feedback. I had a lot of good comments and my rating as a lead was good, but one of the comments just said " he is biased ". 

Comments

  1. Hi Raghu,
    Yes, a very important trait in a leaders armoury. Excellent Post

    regards
    sathya sundar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Treat people as adults

Pass on the baton

Are you listening ???